What's Happening at Cuke Archives
2023 - through September
In addition to what is presented on the Cuke Archives October 2023 Message:
- posted Suzuki edited excerpts with images daily to Instagram, Facebook, cuke.com/ig and the What's New blog along with other relevant posts
- continued working with Shundo David Haye of EngageWisdom on Suzuki's lectures, and linked to 305 pages on that website
- added or significantly updated 15 Suzuki lecture transcripts
- continued adding minimally edited transcripts for easier reading
- began project to edit audio of Suzuki's lectures eliminating gaps, coughs, and redundant phrases
- added about 60 photos to the shunryusuzuki.com Photo Database
- standardized the layout and added over 20 Cuke pages focusing on People featured in cuke.com, bringing the total to over 400
- continued to produce weekly podcasts with Suzuki lineage or related guests
- Began transcribing podcasts, first for in-house use, then prepared for posting as with this one for the Mark Foote podcast.
- updated the section for Crooked Cucumber audiobook (2nd edition available only on audiobook) with a page for all changes from the first edition
- added a set of pages for Thank You and OK! Audiobook Edition
- uploaded PDFs of many letters and book chapters by Marian (Derby) Mountain Wisberg
- uploaded San Francisco Zen Center, a Visitor’s Journal – November 22 - December 31, 1979. A 100-page journal by Wendy Pirsig reflecting on the six weeks she and her husband Robert spent at SFZC following the death of Chris Pirsig.
- uploaded many other PDFs including Mel Weitsman's Shuso Journal, a transcription of Charlotte Selver interview notes, 3 articles by Lawrence Shainberg, articles by Willem Malten and Rick Wicks, a book excerpt by Chris Miller, a letter from Dwite Brown, a 1985 book titled Tassajara by Tassy Oksen with memories going back as far as the 19th century.
- updated the New Bibliography page to make it more searchable for titles and authors
- updated many pages to make them display better on cell phones
- redesigned the Publication section to make it more clear where to find books, articles, stories, history, etc.
All this could not be done without the ceaseless efforts of Peter Ford, Managing Director of Cuke Archives. Thanks to Wendy Pirsig as well for work mainly on the Shunryu Suzuki lecture archive. I'm involved in all that daily, but I concentrate on communications, podcasts and audiobooks, and getting another book, Tassajara Stories, finished. - DC
From prior years
2022 - through May
- In addition to the usual as listed above, Mike Dixon's 2013 portrait of Shunryu Suzuki was made available through Cuke Archives
- Shambhala published: July - Zen Is Right Now: More Teaching Stories and Anecdotes of Shunryu Suzuki, a companion to Zen Is Right Here: Teaching Stories and Anecdotes of Shunryu Suzuki. They are available separately or as a matching set.
- November - Audiobook for Crooked Cucumber: the Life and Zen Teaching of Shunryu Suzuki
Your kind contributions help to keep us going. Thank you.
* Engage Wisdom is an audio archiving business which has contracted with the SFZC to digitize, transcribe, and archive over 11,000 audio tapes for the SFZC. It's founded by Charlie Wilson and run by him and Shundo David Haye, Shundo a teacher at the SFZC. They are both sound engineers. Charlie got into this work when he took on digitizing and archiving the lectures of his teacher, Reb Anderson. Cuke Archives first digitized the Shunryu Suzuki audio archive in 2008 in an abbot's project under abbot Steve Stuckey and paid for it and Richard Baker's 600 lecture tapes to be digitized higher quality by Engage Wisdom in 2014.
SR = Suzuki Roshi (The Germans nixed SS for Shunryu Suzuki)
DC = David Chadwick - Poobah
PF = Peter Ford - Managing Director
WP = Wendy Pirsig - At Large
See Who We Are for more on us and others who pitch in.